Get Advice

Get Advice

How to get free, impartial and confidential advice

If you live or work within the postcode areas of G1 to G15 and need advice, information or guidance, Drumchapel CAB is here for you.

Due to unprecedented demand we are struggling to manage the volume of messages being left in our mailboxes. We receive over 40 call back requests each day, this doesn’t include the calls we are able to answer or the emails we receive.  We are a small charity with a small team so it will take longer for us to get back to you.   

We have created this helpful guide outlining just some of the options available to you if you need help.  Please consider all the options available to you if you need help.  

We are able to offer email advice by emailing your email should include as much information as possible about the issue you are experiencing, what you have done so far and what outcome you want.  Our experienced team will then research and respond to you based on the information you have provided. Please remember to include details on your personal circumstances so we can look at your issue holistically.  

Our webchat is live each day but please note we are handling multiple enquiries within a small team, we thank you in advance for your patience. 

We offer weekly outreach at a number of locations, please consider these before contacting the office:

We hold a Thursday AM surgery at Yoker Community Campus for clients who live in the G14 postcode area only.  Appointments can be made by contacting the Drumchapel CAB office on 0141 944 2612.

If you are a tenant at the following Housing Associations please contact your housing officer for an appointment with one of our advisers.

• Pineview

• Kingsridge Cleddans

• Drumchapel Co-operative 

If you are a tenant at Cernach Housing Association and you need help with welfare rights please contact your housing officer for an appointment with their in-house adviser.  

If you are a GHA tenant please contact your housing officer for access to their own welfare rights, fuel advisers.  

If you are a patient at the following practices, please contact your surgery for a referral to our dedicated NHS advisers:

• Whiteinch Medical Practice

• Logan and MacDonald

• Kingsway Medical Practice

• Dr Haggerty Medical Practice

• Dr Turnbull & Shotton

• Yoker Medical Centre

• The Cairntoul Medical Practice

• Barclay Medical Practice Victoria Park

• Scotstoun Medical Practice 

• Dr Duffy and Morgan

• Shaftsbury Medical Practice

• Drumchapel Medical Practice

• Garscadden Burn Medical Practice 

Our advice booth outside the office has 10 pre-programmed agency numbers including the DWP, Jobcentre, SWF and foodbank. Please visit the booth for more information. 

Visit the Citizens Advice website or Money Map Tool for detailed information on a wide range of topics, including guidance on benefits, debt, money, work, housing and much more.

If you need help with claiming Universal Credit please call:  0800 023 2581

If you need consumer help or have a postal issue please contact Advice Direct:

If you have an employment issue please contact ACAS:  0300 123 1100

We do not book appointments more than a week in advance, if you need help immediately and none of the above meet your needs you can contact the GAIN helpline on: 0808 801 1011

Please also remember that Drumchapel Money Advice who are also based in Drumchapel are also available to contact on:  01419440507 or

Finally our office is OPEN, pop in and speak to our staff if you need to book an appointment.  

Advice in person

For more complex issues or ongoing problems, you should visit us so we can discuss your situation in person. Face-to-face we’ll have the time to talk about everything that’s going on and offer you the best advice.

Phone us

Give us a call to get advice on any issues or problems you’re facing, or to arrange an appointment at the bureau.

We can help with relatively simple issues over the phone, particularly if you’re looking for a quick answer to something straight-forward.

Email us

Send us an email with information about the issue you’re having and what type of advice you would like. Email is a useful way to contact us if you don't need an answer urgently. We’ll aim to get back to you within two working days.


Visit the Citizens Advice Website for detailed information on a wide range of topics, including guidance on benefits, debt, money, work, housing and much more.